Tuesday 27 October 2009

Pulp For Glasto?



Will they?


Won't they?


I don't think I've ever heard as many people talking about 90s Britpop band Pulp as there have been in the past couple of weeks. Depending on which publication you read, Jarvis and co. may be likely to grace the stage of Worthy Farm once more at next year's festival, their first performance in over 6 years. The People have claimed that Cocker confirmed that Pulp were to reform and are interested in playing Glastonbury next year: "Glastonbury means an awful lot to me, I would love to play there again.” When asked if there were any plans in the pipeline to see Pulp potentially repeat Blur's success at playing a comeback gig at Glasto, he said; “We’ve talked about it, there we go, there’ll be a band reunion.”

However, in separate reports on both teletext page Planet Sound and in an interview with the front man himself on BBC 6 Music today, it seems that this is not the case. Cocker has dismissed these rumours, stating that he had never said that Pulp were going to reform in the first place, only that he was "interested in playing at the 40th anniversary."

So I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I think it would be great to see Pulp do Glastonbury, I was too young to see them perform live back in their heyday, so it would be a great chance for them to remind us all who the real diamonds in the Britpop crown truly were, as well as potentially widening their fanbase to those not yet in the know of this great indie band.

My biggest regret about Glastonbury this year was that I missed out on the chance to see a newly reformed
Blur headline the Pyramid, if Pulp do play next year- I shan't make the same mistake again.

In the meantime, here's one of my favourite Pulp tracks, recorded live at Glastonbury circa 1995, enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. Awww, brought a tear to my eye this little bit of jarvis did :D

    ReplyDelete