Thursday 16 December 2010

Who said protest songs were dead in 2010?




Incase you missed me raving about how great this young woman's Leftfield debut was at this year's Glastonbury festival, I thought I might as well remind you in the form of her new song Emily Davidson Blues.

It's songs like this that give me hope that there will be a new wave of protest songs to coincide with the resurgence of interest in political issues. Anything that gets people into both music and the state of their country's affairs can only be a good thing to me; this song manages to do both simultaneously with its catchy chorus and thoroughly articulate lyrics. Very impressed.

Grace Petrie is supporting Billy Bragg at his gig at The Troxy on Thursday, if you live in London and have a spare 20 quid I'd definitely check it out. With Billy Bragg you always know that he'll put on a decent, passionate performance, but it's nice to know that the support act is just as ballsy.

No comments:

Post a Comment