Friday 8 July 2011

Music music everywhere and lots of songs to, umm, drink.


There's more music around this summer than you can shake your Raybans at. Honestly, a bit of sunshine and all of a sudden every Tom Dick & Indie band crawls out of the woodwork to bury their electroindiedancerockfolk tunes into our skulls, never to escape.
After returning from a shall we say challenging Glasto (and falling into the mud at least once a day), I've come back with an increased lust for all things musical. Amidst my musical meanderings I've uncovered literally dozens of new tracks to sink my teeth in. Infact, I've bombarded myself with so much good music of late that I've needed a good sit down to accommodate the giddiness. In order to attempt to shuffle through the chaos, I've decided to make a list of my favourites and share them with you lovely folk. Aren't you lucky?


1. Bon Iver

I'm not sure why I've never bothered to listen to Bon Iver. Perhaps it was the name or maybe it was mere idleness, but they were always 'a band I'll check out later.' However, after caving into peer pressure, I eventually had a listen and what I heard left me wishing I'd checked them out sooner. They take the layered harmonies circa Beegees and meld them together with sprinkles of light jazz, elevator music and more than a little folk: an odd combination on paper, but somehow it works. Although at times coming across a bit too much like a Disney soundtrack (see Beth/Rest), Bon Iver largely produce very delicate, structured songs that seem to radiate warmth. Nice to have on in the background whilst watching the stars on a cool summer's eve.



See what I mean?



2. Fleet Foxes


I couldn't write about how great this summer sounds without including my favourite bearded friends. I've been championing this band since their glorious 2008 self titled début and judging from how great their second offering is, I don't intend on stopping any time soon. Those looking for the difficult second album may be disappointed as there's none of that here. Helplessness Blues provides more of what we've come to know and love from the Seattle quintet: good old fashioned American folk. Critics may claim this lack of progression is a coward's move, but when you've got the mixture of twee harmony and catchy rhythms, why bother changing a thing?

If anything I think this album really lets Peckinold and co shine, moreso than in their humble first album. They may not be ready to launch into a death metal number anytime soon, but they're definitely a lot more willing to venture into wilder terrain, whilst still managing to retain their softness. The Shrine/Argument is a fine example of this, balancing the two extremes beautifully (or as beautifully as a dying trumpet can sound anyway- you may not want to listen to it at full volume if you don't want a fright). Fleet Foxes are good, strong musicians who are willing to take chances, they're just taking baby steps.


After seemingly coming out of nowhere, Warpaint have become one of the hottest acts this summer. Why, you may ask? Well, for starters they're hot chicks with guitars. In a scene so starved of a feminine touch (at the moment anyway), it's rather refreshing to hear a band so seemingly dainty lead into a heavy, sprawling groove that can only be described as a wall of sound in one swift move. There's just something so effortless and cool about them, which I suppose has much to do with the hipster connotations they've accrued thus far in their tenure. Even the vocals sound like she's still half asleep, which only manage to provide a sleek, sensual sound that leaves you hanging on every word. This, combined with the dark, intense undertones make Warpaint the epitome of dreamy rock and the perfect soundtrack to a summer spent prancing around in fields of daisies. Or something.




I'll be adding to the list throughout the week, would love to hear what you think

1 comment:

  1. If you haven't heard it yet, you have to listen to Bon Iver's first album. I was late to the party too, but I couldn't live without that album now.

    ReplyDelete