Friday 14 November 2008

Everything is Average Nowadays

Is it just me or is Chart music getting progressively worse lately?
I listen to Radio 1 in the mornings for the lovely Chris Moyles (love him or hate him he must be doing something good, with millions of listeners, something XFM would probably kill for) and today I swear with each song, excluding Oasis' Lyla, (one of their weaker songs in my opinion) the quality got more and more dire. I mean, have you heard that TI song that's currently the second biggest download on iTunes?







Live your life?

Christ, this song make me want to take my life.




It's utter bilge, and yet more people have downloaded this song this week than
Kings of Leon or Guns 'n' Roses. How is this possible?

Now I'm not a huge fan of either of those bands, very much overrated really, but surely their music is much more original and musically interesting than a song whose best bit is the riff they borrowed from O Zone? Elsewhere, you've got songs like Womanizer by Britney Spears, albeit not as terrible as some of her songs released in her bald headed psycho phase, but still, where's the substance?

Each to their own and all, and I know the same could be said for some of the gazillion white guitar bands out there, but there's nothing new here. Nothing to excite me, nothing to make me stop what I'm doing and actually listen to it. Not on the radio anyway, unless you go to stations like NME Radio (and Kerrang radio to a certain extent, though ever since they played Scouting for Girls I have abstained from listening to it, rock my arse) or 6 Music, which offer some alternative. Still, what's evidently clear is that the above is the type of music that appeals to the mainstream, teenage i.e. downloader's market who will actually purchase the songs; altogether a very depressing thing.


Am I wrong? Leave a comment and tell me what you think of the state of the Top 40, if you want and have nout else to do.

:)

Some decent Radio stations:
NME Radio
XFM
Triple J
Think of any more? Let me know, I'll add them here.

5 comments:

  1. I absolutely agree. In Australia every day they play the same songs on commercial radio...Lady Gaga is really popular at the moment for being a foolish air-head and Katy Perry too. Blando bands like Nickelback,Metro Station and idiots like Kid Rock.It's awful and then we have the schizen Australian bands like the shockingly horrible Veronicas and commercial emo band Short Stack...
    It's enough to make anyone sick.
    What's more someone at my school told me "I hate the radio I like indie bands like The Ting Tings and Scouting For Girls" aaaaaah. The same person lampooned me playing Cayman Islands by Kings Of Convenience "how does anyone like this....how do I dance to it?"
    major hmajorly depressing.
    Only good radio station in Australia is Triplej.
    I don't plan on listening to the TI song.Ever.
    I sound like my grandparents :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So it's not just the UK that has crap radio then..

    Have heard of the Veronicas but they seem fairly bland, I still don't know how Katy Perry has done so well. Haha don't blame youm not wanting to listen to it, you would be one of the lucky few who haven't, unless it's not out in Aus.
    Hehe I know it does sound quite an old thing to say 'all that music the youngsters play, it's just noise' :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, the only thing I like about the song is the beat. Not too much of a fan of the content though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally unimpressive and yet popular - go figure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Apparently crap radio has taken over the English-speaking world. Her in the US we've got the same crap as you do on the other end of the world. That's why music blogs and the interweb are so important, these days. I get much of what I post from my own music collection or from recommendations on-line.

    ReplyDelete