Wednesday 26 November 2008

Where's the Support?

We've all been there. You've had the week from hell, stacks of work to do and everyone you know is pissing you off. So, in an attempt to cheer yourself up you book tickets to see the gig you've been dying to go to all year. After weeks, months even of waiting, that fateful day arrives and you're buzzing with anticipation for the moment the beloved headliners grace the stage.



But then..




What's this? Some small, obscure band whose name you can't even pronounce sidles onto the stage and starts playing tracks swallowed by synths and bizarre vocals that conjure up images of dying kittens. What do you do?







I recently ran a poll asking if there was any actual love for the support band. The answer, a resounding no, seemed to confirm my suspicions. People, it seems, just don't care about the opening act. 'I paid good money to see the headliners' I hear you cry; 'Why would I want to hear some band I've never heard of, they're just wasting my time.' Well, maybe because, for all we know, that small obscure band being attacked by synths could be the next big thing.




Today's support act is tomorrow's stadium act.




A couple of years ago my parents went to see
Stellastarr * perform, with some quaint American band known as The Killers. Now, can you tell me for a brownie point, where are Stellastarr now, and what have The Killers been up to recently? With a new NME cover (out tomorrow) to add the heap of other magazine articles and hundreds of festival appearances, it seems to toil of being a support band paid off.



Also, whatever happened to just having a good time and trying something new? It saddens me that, in an age where new music is only a Myspace search away, it appears that not many are actually taking advantage of having it right there in front of them. I've been to many 'a gig recently, (purely research of course) and when observing the crowd during the support act, most of the crowd stood, cross armed and bored, whilst large portions oft he crowd hadn't even bothered turning up yet!




Surely, in these times of economic turmoil you want to get as much out of your tenner as possible, rather than just an hour's set from the big guys? The only exception to the rule I've noticed was at an electro gig, with
Asobi Seksu (pictured) supporting the magnificent Ladytron. I'd almost given up hope on a supportive crowd but, lo and behold, the NYC band actually got people moving. But then, taking a second glance at the crowd, you can see why. Most of those here tonight are gig veterans, not some indie/scene kids who think they're 'too cool' to listen to more underground bands.



Trust me, you ain't.




So, if you've gleaned anything from my rant, let it be that support bands can make you feel as giddy as any headlining band could. The next time you see that small, obscure band shuffle onto the stage, dance like a madman and give the new kids a chance.




What are your support act experiences? Let me know, the weirder the better.

2 comments:

  1. My experience with support acts is that they are mostly poorly chosen, there are usually too many support acts and they usually suck when compared with the headliners.

    In South Africa, there is a tendency to book 10 or even 20 local support acts when a big international act comes over. I love watching bands and I do give newcomers a chance, but I can't sit through 10 or 20 support acts. I get listener's fatigue after watching 2 or 3 bands.

    The support acts are usually not remotely in tune with the headliners, meaning you have some angsty teen Tool cover band playing right before an established international power metal band. That's one way to guarantee an indifferent if not hostile audience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 10 acts?! That's a bit excessive, even a devout muso fan would get bored having to put up with 10 acts they don't even know. I agree about the genre of the support bands, you don't half get some odd combinations of bands out there, makes you think they just take the first band they see and hope for the best really.

    ReplyDelete