Sunday 15 February 2009

1984: How Close Are we?

I know the title suggests that I'm deviating from the normal musical calibre of my posts and drifting into conspiracy theories, but don't worry there is a link to music, even if it it is somewhat tenuous.

I don't want to bring up the shambles that happened at the BBC during the latter part of last year again as I feel it has been pulled to pieces, only to leave a huge generational gap between the public on the matter of decency during public broadcasts. The issue I would like to raise however, is one of connecting the target audience of these radio broadcasts with the shows themselves. I was made aware earlier that two local radio DJ's have had their radio show that aired between 1 and 3 in the morning on the weekends suspended, due to a few expletives in some of the songs broadcast.

Now I don't want to be too hypocritical and judge this situation when I'm not a listener to this particular show, by that time on the weekend I'm either mindlessly rambling to people on MSN or sleeping- 24 hour party person is me. However, it strikes me as a little nonsensical that in the early hours of the morning when most people aged over 45 will be tucked up in bed or watching Taggart with a rich tea, it is unacceptable to air music that is unedited, when at 9PM you can pretty much say what you like on television. I mean honestly, the folk who do watch Taggart must be mortified if they accidentally switch over to Channel 4 on a Saturday, enough to give them angina I'm sure.

(N.B I know I'm generalising an awful lot, forgive me.)

I can understand that the last thing the BBC wants is more scandal, I almost feel sorry for how bad their year was press wise in 2008, but I don't see why swearing in songs broadcast can be deemed offensive at that particular time slot. People who listen to that show tune in to hear local musicians; the whole point of the show is to introduce new talent, so why should we censor it?

I've always had issues with censorship in music.

Maybe it's the purist in me, but I don't think music should have boundaries. It's at its best when it's raw, unadulterated sound; not something that has to answer to 'the man.' I think, when used sparingly, expletives can add impact to songs that may otherwise be deemed bland. I'm not a huge fan of the bitches and hoes rubbish that's spouted a lot these days, but it's all about subjectivity. If an artist feels it's necessary to say 'Shut up you twat' in their own piece of work, then that should be their prerogative. I agree that in the daytime swearing on all mediums of broadcasting is unacceptable due to the risk of young people being 'exposed' to it (as if they aren't already, have you ever been to the local comprehensive?), but during the late evening hours I don't see why there should still be such restrictions.

I hope I'm not the only one who still believes in artistic license. And for all who disagree- FUCK YOU!

3 comments:

  1. Ha! I agree with you. Music without censorship is better as I think the artists express themselves better. I always go for the 'dirty' tracks as like you said, they are more raw and emotional.

    besides, cussing has been part of my life ever since my mind was corrupted. By that I mean when I stepped into high school LOL.

    Sorry, can't comment on the 1984 thing as I don't know much about it. Thanks for the BBC info, though!

    Much Love,

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think most of the main BBC radio stations will happily play proper swearing after 10pm. I have a feeling it was because John Peel was fed up with not being able to say the name of a band called (imaginatively): Fuck.

    Over in Australia the equivalent of Radio 1, JJJ is for some complicated reason allowed to swear all day long, this is only partly why it is so awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Lily Allen, she can do no wrong.

    ReplyDelete