Thursday 7 January 2010

Dealing With Snow in A Typically English Fashion

The schools are closed. The transport system's in tatters and the hospital beds are filling up because your granny thought it would be a good idea to go jogging on the ice (well ok maybe not the last one, but you get the picture). Of course, it must be time for another bout of snow to fall upon the fair shires of Albion.

Ah well, I'm certainly not complaining. Two days off college has provided me with a golden opportunity to finish any hellish coursework and do some much needed revision. And obviously, when I say revision I mean procrastinating by checking out Hype Machine every 15 minutes. But hey, at least I can bring you lovely people a bit more music to indulge in and warm you up on a snowy winter's day.



Now I'm not usually one to sing Paolo Nutini's praises; I thought his debut stuff was thoroughly average, destined to be just another lot of chart fodder for decaying Radio 2 listeners. However, it may have taken a few years but he's finally produced something I actually like. Pencil Full of Lead is unashamedly retro (without a synth in sight-hurrah!) and just makes me want to get up and dance. The cheekiness of the trumpets is pure brilliance and, surprisingly, Paolo's husky vocals fit perfectly with the 1920's jazz style- this is a thousand shades better than some of the dirge he's released. Oh and the video's pretty damn good too, I'm loving the yellow bows!

So come on baby let me see you shake a tail feather ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment