Sunday 6 November 2011

Time for my annual 'sorry I've neglected you' post it seems. Whenever the school year starts again my priorities tend to go out of the window and everything musical gets put on the backburner- ridiculous I know. I mean really, what's more important than blathering on about the veritable cornucopia of new releases and hype bands that's out there? So naturally, with 3 essays due in the space of a fortnight, I've done the sensible thing and returned to where
I belong for those extra few minutes of procrastination. Ah, it's good to be back.

Anyway, narcissism aside, over the past few weeks I've been collecting new music with the same vigour of a nerdy 90's kid collecting Pokemon cards. Over the next few days I'll be showcasing some of the spoils of my quest in the hopes of forgetting about the imminent coldness and melancholy that is winter.

First up is London based 'goth' quartet Veronica Falls.

Cool, simplistic and very very hipster, Veronica Falls make music designed to charm. Despite suicide, stalkers and all manner of bleak things featuring on their debut self titled record, the group's naive harmony and 80's inspired swirling guitar leaves one feeling more chilled than creeped out.

While there isn't much in the way of diversity here, it doesn't seem to be entirely a bad thing. Each song effortlessly drifts into the next to ensure maximum mellowness; not great if you're looking for something to awaken your senses and get you on the dancefloor, but perfect for the morning after the night before.

If you're planning on donning some black rimmed glasses and dipping your toe into the pool of hipster, Veronica Falls is a great place to start.





No comments:

Post a Comment