Tuesday 23 December 2008

So Here It Is..

Do not fear.. NO Mariah, No god awful Wham and no terrifying old men shouting 'It's Chriiiiistmas!'

As I am a poor student, the main gift I gave to my friends this year consisted of a CD compiling of some alternative Christmas songs in an attempt to give them a less suffocating festive repertoire. So I thought I might as well share this with you, my lovely readers (If any).
While I can't post it as an MP3 playlist due to copyright and all that shizzle, here's the list with links to the youtube videos:


Dr Demento- I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas (Where is this song from originally? It's bizarre)


New Found Glory- Ex-Miss (Not as whiny as their other stuff.)


The Raveonettes- Come On Santa (Taken from their Wishing You a Rave Christmas EP, very chilled.)


The Fall-Jingle Bell Rock (Thought it sounded a bit like The Horrors and wanted I'd give them another chance, they were shite at Ashton Court.)


The Long Blondes-Christmas is Cancelled (My mum loves them.)


Sue and the Unicorn- We Don't Want to Leave Eden (Ok, not christmassy but you need a breather every now and then. Plus Sue's voice is heavenly on this track.)


Run DMC- Christmas in Hollis ( Quite a good video and you gotta love a bit of old skool. Bo!)



The Ramones- Merry Christmas (I Don't Want to Fight Tonight)- I've only just gotten to like this band, been trying to avoid the hype, fortunately, they're rather good.


Cliff Richard- Mistletoe and Wine- I'm not even going to Youtube it, anyone who likes this song should be shot. Many times. With a christmas tree shoved where the sun don't shine. I put this on here to wind up my friends. Honest.

Death Cab for Cutie- Christmas (Baby Please Come Home- I love the mellowness of this track.


The Polyphonic Spree- Happy Christmas (War is Over)- I can't tell the difference between them and Lennon to be honest.


Jimmy Eat World- Last Christmas (This song is never not going to sound cheesy is it?)


Blink 182- I Won't be Home for Christmas ( From when they were like BFF and in the days of disgusting dog jokes- enjoy.)


The Fall- Hark the Herald Angels Sing


The Goodies- Father Christmas (Makes me laugh every time-utter brilliance)


The Killers-A Great Big Sled (The only good thing they released in 2006)


Glasvegas- Fuck You, It's Over (No sign of any vomit inducing sleigh bells here, plus I thought it was a nice way to end my playlist.)

So what do you think? I know, no Pogues but that's been done to death really hasn't it?

Look out for my next post tomorrow, I have some Christmas presents for you all, aren't you lucky?

2 comments:

  1. I recommend "Tis The Season For Los Straitjackets" - check out their fantastic instrumental surf rock cover of Oh Little Town Of Bethlehem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I checked out that song and it's brilliant, cheers for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete