Friday 12 December 2008

Teenage Angst

So tonight my friends and I thought it would be nice if we actually went out somewhere instead of locking ourselves in our bedrooms watching the IT Crowd followed by some obscure comedian's warblings all night. So, after many a google search (not really, it was advertised well enough) I found that local folkman Barry Dolan, aka Oxygen Thief celebrating his 100th gig by playing with a couple of other singer-songwriters at a local pub in Stokes Croft. Lovely. Now usually the people in Stokes Croft are lovely to us young 'uns, well by that I mean we can get into The Croft without hassle, even though we are sixteen, hardly toddlers. However, tonight's escapades have proved to be the exception..

So after having a stressful week of exam revision and coldness we thought a civilised night of folk wouldn't go a-miss. So, after eventually getting there and getting in easily enough, we settled down to watch the first of the acts play, in a state of blissful unawareness of what was about to unfold.



Before I continue I must stress, we're not exactly innocent (there was some hunting for alcohol involved, alas to no avail) but still we had absolutely NO intention of even trying to purchase alcohol in the pub in which we were, I mean that's just poor logic isn't it? Plus we were there, well I was anyway, to see Oxygen Thief play again.




After seeing him support Chris T-T in the pub down the road from The Junction, I definitely jumped at the chance to hear him play live again. Oxygen Thief makes music both interesting and refreshing; almost like when you dip your face in water and, although it stings a bit, wakes you up. Hmm, maybe a poor analogy, but needless to say I like his music. He has a distinct personality that definitely comes across in his songs, and has a genuine enthusiasm for the music that he plays, a trait that is seldom seen these days. So, understandably, I was looking forward to hearing his set and having a quiet night with some friends before the hussle and bustle that is the festive period. However, just after the first act had left the tiny stage (sort of like what
Snow Patrol would sound like if they needed a bit of prozac) a barmaid kindly asked us to leave the premises, as another pub had been raided for underage drinkers. Underage DRINKERS.
Why is it that just because we're teenagers in a pub that we would be classed as underage drinkers?



Now normally I wouldn't mind so much, but when it comes to music I have no sense of humour. Why should we be discriminated against due to our age? Why should our junior years restrict us from enjoying good music? I could even understand if there were age restrictions of gigs with explicit content, like, say a German Death Metal troupe (why German? I don't know, but they sound more grr) But really, it's folk.




Folk I tell you.




And this isn't the first time this has been an issue.

You only need to go to the local ticket shop to see that us under 18's have been ostracised in terms of gigs. The list of clubs and bars we can't go to is endless' Louisiana? Nope. Fleece? Uh Uh. Thekla? Don't even bother. Everywhere you go bouncers are quick to push you out the door just because you don't have a valid id or are a few months younger than the rest of the punters. Age doesn't make you more mature. Neither does it mean you should all of a sudden be let into the magical world of good music on your eighteenth birthday. We all deserve the right to enjoy ourselves in a safe environment where we can see genuine talent. Yes there's the Academy, but unless you're fliering it don't come cheap for a night out. And we're only poor students afterall.



Look at the huge response
Underage Festival got this year, it's clear to see that teenagers are sick of being alienated from the music we enjoy. So to any venue managers out there, the next time a group of sober, money paying teenagers enter your venue looking to support local talent such as Oxygen Thief, give the kids a chance. Innit.


http://www.myspace.com/oxygenthief

3 comments:

  1. Nice post I like the build up of suspense to the final denouement! You have my sympathy... I could tell you some stories but don't get me started on that... x

    ReplyDelete
  2. However much I do empathise with you, a licensed establishment has to keep it's licence to keep open, and to do that it must keep within the law. I know it's frustrating and all but we were all 16 once.......

    However the next time you do get in but can't get served I highly suggest you sneak a quarter cut of Vodka in and buy cokes all night while putting the odd shot in!

    Peace and Bananas!
    Http://DanOakes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, thanks for the comments :)
    I know they have a license to worry about but I don't see how having under 18's in the pub if they're not buying alcohol is that big an issue. Some kids in the year below me get to play in pubs, yet if we actually wanted to see them we wouldn't be permitted to attend due to the licensing laws.

    Good idea though!

    ReplyDelete