Tuesday 14 October 2008

'Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now'

I feel like Shit.

Sorry to be so blunt about it, but today has not been a good day for Maddie.

At all
.

After trying to concentrate and actually absorb any of what was going on in Politics for the dozenth or so time, I realised that it's rather futile for me to continue with this course. I mean, I'm not going to do well at it so why should I even bother?

Sometimes it's hard to be a perfectionist. :|

So now I'm faced with the thought of dropping one of my AS Levels, meaning now I will only have to do 4, which is pretty rubbish really, as I was quite happy doing 5, just not Politics. I did try though, it just wasn't enough. To top that off, now I also have to contend with some of my dearest friends behaving so immaturely it makes me want to vomit.

I get the whole wanting to be in control of things, I tend to be somewhat of a control freak at times, but when it comes to forcefully controlling situations that have nothing to do with you or basically using a friend who has been there for you when you've been too much of a drunken mess to get home, it's just a little sad really. And it's really bad for the friend of mine who has to put up with this, she obviously isn't happy with it but she never says anything, I don't know how some people can be so tolerant. Then there's the whole other topic of another of the people that used to be close to me, but I'm not going to get into this here, that itself seems fairly childish.

Aaaanyway,
*rant over*

so I'm in a sucky mood. Because of this, I'm going to put some of the songs that make me happy on this here bloggy o' mine, in an effort to cheer me up.






The Smiths- Ask
I know, I know, you're thinking; it's The Smiths, how can they be cheery?
Well, I ask you, how can it not be?
Even the first guitar riff at the start of the track is in a major key. This song's lyrics send a message that it's ok to be confident and be happy, no matter what drama you've got going on. Or at least that's what I think it says. The cymbal crashes and guitar rhythms make me almost want to bob my head to it, and the middle eight- 'laa' phrases are sung as if without a care in the world. I've been an avid fan of The Smiths for nearly two years now, and whenever I hear this song it still makes me smile.






Vampire Weekend- Oxford Comma
This song, and in fact their entire album, is perfect for listening to whilst getting ready to go out. You soon find by the end of the first song and onto this one, Oxford Comma, that you're dancing around like a lunatic nearly burning yourself with the straightening tongs.

Well, maybe not everyone, but it has the same effect. The high, almost falsetto note in the chorus, combined with what sounds like a recorder or flute of some sort makes this song rather sweetly bird-like, and conjures up memories of lazy summer afternoons, or, in my case, a nearly wet Friday afternoon at Worthy Farm.







Robots in Disguise- Girl
I know I featured this band a couple of posts ago, but seeing as this is a list of my 'happy' songs, I just had to add them. This was one of the first songs I had ever heard of theirs, and I wasn't in a particularly cheery mood at the time (GCSE's and the such) but this song had me bounding off the walls like an 8 year old who's eaten a few too many winegums. This song reeks of feminism, but in a good way, declaring that women aren't inferior, and, really, they're just that bit better. The chanting in the middle eight makes the listener feel included in the song, as if we're all part of some neon mob, waiting to unleash the fury that is Robots in Disguise.









The Libertines- Don't Look Back Into The Sun
Whenever I hear the opening riff of this song, it makes me want to drop what I'm doing and just go prance around in a field somewhere. This song draws out the youth in those who hear it; whether that be because they actually were the youth when this was first released, such as myself, or whether because it brings back memories of being free, having crazy summer parties, whatever. For me, this song makes me want to be happy as it reminds me that there's always something to look forward to. Plus, it reminds me of when The Libertines were still together, and you have to admit, it's not the same now they're two different bands. Oh, and while I'm here; Dirty Pretty Things
R.I.P You weren't too bad, but not enough to make me go 'wow.'











Blur- Song 2
This song is pretty self explanatory really.
So all that's left for me to say is..


WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!







Fight Like Apes- Lend Me Your Face
This band is a new discovery of mine. I saw them perform live last week in support of The Ting Tings, and my friend and I watched them, mouths agape. This band are truly golden. Each of their songs are fiercely catchy and hits you like a punch in the face. The Irish band mix Electro, Indie and Rock to create one huge sound, listening to them now brings back memories of watching Geoff, the crazy but cool wafro guy dancing like he's having some sort of fit along to the gleeful sounds of Fight Like Apes. Although The Ting Tings were good, I came away from that gig with a new favourite band.

2 comments:

  1. Hey!

    I have just discovered your blog via Facebook, and an interesting and compelling blog it is too.
    Kudos for succeeding where many a blogger has stumbled and fallen. :)

    Politics today was really crap, there did seem an odd atmosphere from the start. And the random disgressions onto Stalin and the French cutting off fingers did seem a tad pointless and irrelevant...

    Hope tomorrow is a better day for you. :)
    There will be cake in Critical Thinking, hopefully!

    Jenny
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maddie !
    I really do like your blog.
    I've read so many blogs which I read and after 5 seconds want to bang my head on the table with boredom. Luckily yours doesn't come into that catagory :) KEEEP posting! And I hope you feel less shit soon :( With all the shenanigans going on at the moment, I know its hard :| Remember, I'm always here when you want to talk, about anything :) Izzy xxx

    ReplyDelete