Thursday 23 October 2008

Vive Le Revolution!

I should really be doing my Politics essay. But then, if I did, who would write about these two quirky bands set to cause mayhem in the electro-thrash scene?

HeartsRevolution



I ask you; how many bands do you know that tour with their customised ice cream van? And, of these bands, do any of them really make you want to pull a shape? No? Well, in that case you should definitely listen to this band, you're missing out. HeartsRevolution are Ben and Lo, a duo seen as the cuter and cuddlier Crystal Castles. However, you only need to hear 'Switchblade' to know that they may be cute, but cuddly they ain't. Lo oozes sexuality from behind a backdrop of whirly techno bleepings in this stylish yet savage track. With their sold out 6" glow in the dark vinyl and their van of wonders containing many a neon trinket, HeartsRevolution are definitely here to make an impact, whether you like it or not.







The Presets


Ok, so they're not exactly all brand new, but I discovered this infectious Electronica band whilst listening to my recommendations on Last.fm. In the Noughties it seems as if we have been invaded by 'retro' synth bands trying to recapture some of the 'fun' of the Eighties. (I wasn't around then, but from what I hear, legwarmers, The Smiths/Cure, good punk music,etc it wasn't all perms and Kylie Minogue.) However, amongst the dreary monotony, there have been some exciting creations, take The Presets for example. This band don't focus on what the mainstream audience want to hear, but rather on what sounds good; alas the two have no correlation these days for the majority of the Top 40. This Aussie pair create tracks rough enough to satisfy rock and Electro fans, and enough style to unite them on the dancefloor in one big Rectro cuddle. It's not often a band comes around who can mix techno, rock, indie and electro as effortlessly as The Presets.
This is my favourite song of theirs, My People, a jaunty, shouty call to arms for all those who want to move. Everybody scream!






1 comment:

  1. God I love these guys I've been a fan from their humble beginnings (Blow Up EP) to watching them take home 3 Arias (Aussie equivalent of the Brit awards) there best song in my opinion is Girl & The Sea look it up on youtube the video is stunning.
    LOL I just found out they're older than my mum!

    ReplyDelete