Thursday 30 October 2008

Set to Invade Your Mind


Lately, it seems wherever I go on the interweb to find new music, I cannot escape the clutches of those crazy Belgians, Soulwax.




So, after attempting to avoid them for many a day, mostly due to my dislike in 'remixes,' (I see it vaguely pointless to listen to the same song that's only a tinsy bit different from the original) I hesitantly decided to listen to some of their stuff.





So the first track of theirs I noticed was their remix of
LCD Soundsystem's 'Get Innocuous' on Hype Machine. Now I like LCD so I wasn't sure if the electronica outfit would do the track justice. However, after listening to it you do get the impression that this isn't just a copy of the song but slightly tweaked, but a song made into Soulwax's own style, truly an impressive thing to be able to do. The song still manages to retain some of the original track, but is improved on if anything.




So then I tracked down a remix of Ladytron's 'Seventeen,' a song by one of my favourite electronic bands, and was once again taken aback by the way in which it had been reworked. It opens with a catchy guitar riff, making the track much more edgy than its sleek and sophisticated predecessor. This version of the track appeals to the more indie inclined folk as well as the ravers, and is actually quite addictive.





And it's not just these two tracks Soulwax have been busy on; they've remixed the likes of Daft Punk, Kylie Minogue, Klaxons and the Sugababes, this is a band most certainly to cause a stir, if they haven't already.



3 comments:

  1. I really like this blog. The best thing about it is how everything in it screams music. Out loud. From the widgets on the side, links to tracks, the search engine on the top,the pictures, this blog has everything needed for a blog of its genre. Even the colour combination for some reason suits the blog.

    PS- I share your disdain for remixes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot :) I do try and keep it music oriented, haha nice to know someone else dislikes the dreaded 'remix' :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Maddie

    I'm not going to pretend to be in to my music anywhere near as much as you...I don't think thats possible!! Just wanted to say thanks for your comment on my blog...it's much appreciated.

    Rob

    ReplyDelete