Wednesday 28 January 2009

Ooh La La!

I'm afraid to say I will be absent from the rosy shores of England- and my blog- for a few days. In case you can't tell from the title, I'm off to grande Paris!

Believe it or not, I'm not off to the most romantic city in the world for a break, I'm actually going for a conference about something or other for college-fun. Still, I get to engross myself in French culture for a day or two, and what better way of embracing the culture than by listening to their music?

Yelle
I actually have the same dress, love it.
Yelle is Julie Budet, a flourishing electropop Parisian from Bretagne. Her songs aren't exactly going to fulfill your life, but the short slices of sunshine that are A Cause de Garcon and Les Femmes are sure to put a bounce in your step. If you're into stuff with slightly more attitude, try Je Veux te Voir, a slick synth number in which Yelle rants at some bloke from hip-hop band TTC.


La Grande Sophie

I came across this Nerina Pallot/Feist hybrid whilst stumbling around on hype machine. These tracks ooze that sleek elegance of what I consider the essence of France. I've no clue what she's singing about; she could be lamenting about how late the bin men are this week for all I know, but it sounds damn sexy. The strings on Quand Le Mois D'Avril conjure up images of smoky French bars in the 40s, the epitome of the glossy French stereotype. If you want to escape from the realms of reality, then put these songs on and close your eyes: you'll soon be strolling down by the Seine, arm in arm with your significant other as the stars twinkle overhead.

'Course it's all light pollution and traffic nowadays, but one can dream.
Quand Le Mois D'Avril+Dis Quand Reviendras-Tu?.MP3 (Courtesy of Filles Sourires.)

Soko
Ah, Soko, Soko, Soko. An old favourite of mine. I first remember hearing her song I Will Never Love You More being played on Radio 1 and having to replay it to understand the bizarre lyrics. What first appears a sweet ditty about her boyfriend is in actuality a tongue in cheek retort that she even loves kissing girls (this was before Katy Perry mind) better than kissing her ex-beau. Soko is possibly the most edgy out of these three mademoiselles, there's a certain darkness in her innocent vocals and simple arrangements that leaves you wanting more.




1 comment:

  1. My favourite French group will always be daft punk. I know they're a bit mainstream, but hey. It is interesting to see what their less mainstream music is like though, it's not too dissimilar to our own, just a little less punky imo

    ReplyDelete