Monday 10 August 2009

Mystery of Le Mousquetaires

In an effort to prolong my boredom during the liberating but somewhat monotonous holidays, I've been delving into the underground realms of Folk Noir. Folk Noir (a branch of Neofolk) is described as music that shows 'dark undertones-' so like most folk then, I mean the genre has never been one full of chirpy prozac ridden harmonies and rosy cheeked youths playing xylophones, has it?
(Well, certainly not the type of folk I am accustomed to anyway).



Le Fils des Trois Mousquetaires

What strikes me as interesting about this band is that there is absolutely no information about them on t'internet; I found them on Last.fm which directed me to their Myspace page, only to have it tell me to go back to their Last.fm page, quite an odd promo tactic. And all without any trace of a bio. Strange. Infact, the only bit of information I have regarding this band is that they're from Belgium. Not that it matters a great deal, the music speaks more than any amount of biographical waffle.


There's something very distinctive and almost alluring about the mysterious gent's voice which suggests he's either a devout Doherty fan, or is his slightly more demure and possibly Belgian twin. But, for all we know, the guy could be your run of the mill butcher from Bruges who just happens to like a good singsong.


If this is typical Folk Noir then the Beatles must have been the emo kids of the 60's, there's not much in the way of sinister, brutal melodies here. The songs amble along at their own pace, slowly drawing you in before leaving you feeling thoroughly hypnotised. Although there are tinges of melancholy in wistful She Won't Be Home, it's certainly not going to be the music you'd top yourself to. I actually find the vocals to have a highly therapeutic effect on me, most notably Lullaby that plays up to its name entirely; gentle rocking acoustic chords over the top of the vocalists smooth as honey melody, perfect for chilling out and contemplating life.


Or just good to have a nap to, either way I like it.


Looking on the band's Last.fm page, there's one comment that pretty much sums up my opinion of these guys and Folk Noir in general: 'strange beauty.'

Le Fils de Trois Mousquetaires- Lullaby.MP3

Le Fils de Trois Mousquetairs- She Won't Be Home.MP3

No comments:

Post a Comment