Tuesday 23 March 2010

Life in the Music Biz

When I think about the glorious summer that was 2008, I'm met with many hazy yet perfect memories: my virginal Glastonbury experience, the end of compulsory education and a whole lot of alcohol (funnily enough I don't remember all that much after that..). Ah yes, 2008 was a good year. Long summer days spent drinking far too much with friends in a park or house somewhere, acting like idiots and going to gigs like they were going out of fashion. Quite the way to live I think you'll agree.

One of the gigs
that will always stick with me though is that of electro troupe Robots in Disguise. 3 hours of hard, electro carnage, resulting in having half a pint of what I hope was lager on my new dress. Crowd surfing, people being thrown out and a verbal attack on security staff also made it one hell of an evening and definitely gave me the now ever present thirst for gigs. Now I know a lot of you still haven no idea who I'm talking about, so to give you a taste of what these guys are about, watch this:


Now, needless to say the gig was everything I'd come to expect from such an adventure: swathes of hot and sweaty teenagers jumping around spilling all manner of beverages over all within a 3 metre radius. To some it may seem like hell, but when it's the backdrop to songs like that who really cares?

I've written about RID before so I don't want to completely regurgitate my declaration of love for these guys (though you should know that in a time where female fronted alternative bands are still on the periphery, what these two are doing is pretty damn awesome), but I'm writing with a sense of urgency and pleading this time around. If you hadn't heard of Robots in Disguise before placing your eyes upon this hallowed page that's probably because although in the midst of recording their fourth studio album they are still operating very much under the radar, away from the glaring eyes of the mainstream. Whether this is a good thing is still up for debate, but the fact remains that due to this and the thwack of the tail end of the recession still being felt by musicians everywhere, RID are struggling to come up with funding for their new album.

Although they have a strong fanbase (including the likes of Noel Fielding and electro superstar Peaches), there is always more to be done and any new listeners will be welcomed with sexy robot arms.

I love Robots in Disguise, they remind me of my youth (comparatively anyway, at 17 I'm hardly waiting for my Giro) and they're a fine example of what indie music actually is. With your help we can make sure that more people can hear just how awesome this band is and say a resounding 'fuck you' to the big record companies that don't have to face this kind of crisis everytime they want to put out an album. If it's £1 or even £5, every little penny counts and Robots in Disguise only receive the money if they reach their total of£15,000, with 10% of all money made going towards a charity dealing with improving the lives of those suffering with Alzheimer's. so really what is there to lose??

Support the talent. Pledge!




Robots in Disguise are also playing a series shows across the UK this month, to find out details on venues and ticket prices, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment